Friday, June 20, 2014

Aspirations

Came across an interesting article today which provided food for thought, it is in Chinese, roughly translated as: if pay is disregarded, what would you choose to work as?

Reading the title instantly led me to recall my childhood aspirations, however with deeper thoughts, I realize it is not really about that, but more of your preferences as a working adult, assuming money is a limitless resource.
Since young, we've been consumed by this idea that the main purpose of working is to make money.
Our parents work to bring the bacon home, as well as to buy us the latest toys.
It is no wonder that many young aspirations are lawyers, doctors, actors, and the like.
Imagine you trying to tell your primary school classmate that you aspire to be a bus driver ( due to some obsession with automobiles) or an artist ( because you love to draw), what reaction will you get?
No offense here, but even at a young age, we know which jobs brings the most money and/or most prestige.

"If pay is disregarded, what would you choose to work as?" naturally should be the question fresh graduates or young working adults should ask themselves.
Having experience or having heard of experiences of various jobs, one would be in a better position to gauge their own likes or dislikes in a job, as well as their inclinations towards certain things or the absence of it.

Many people complained everyday about their jobs, yet most do nothing about it, because of? Money? Prestige? Bound by financial commitments? Inertia to change?
Some report must have been done on this and I am curious what's the top Pareto.

If I were one of the surveyed, I will be torn between the first and the last option. Much as I hate to admit, the real reason would be the inertia to change. However, on first thought, I will probably put money as the answer as my preferred job would definitely pay lower than the current. I wonder if I belong to the majority or minority.





No comments: